Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Green is cool


Going green is the new craze and while I'm not totally opposed to it I'm somewhat weary. I see what is doing to manufacturers and consumers. They throw a "green" label on their product and all of a sudden it's more desirable. Yet the packaging hasn't changed and the chemicals are nearly the same. It just seems a little wrong to me. Anyways, like I said I'm not totally opposed to it. To honor our familys new years resolution we have done little things around here to do our part. Bobby and the kids have started to collect cans to recycle. The kids have decided to use the money earned to honor their commitment to the unleash campaign at church. Not only are they doing the enviroment a favor they are following up on a promise to honor God. Pretty cool if ya ask me!
Another thing that we are doing really just kind of happened. Our clothes dryer died on us about a week ago. Instead of running out and getting a new one we have opted to line dry, for now that is. I want to see how much it affects our electricity bill next month. If I see a big difference then I may be a changed woman. Some people might not think it will make a huge dent but we tend to do at least one or two loads a day. We have six people in our house and laundry tends to pile up if not attacked every day or at the least every other day. So I'm off to find laundry line and racks since every door way in our house has clothes hanging from them. Maybe this fall we will get the current one fixed if it's fixable or buy a new one but for now we will continue with our little house on the prarie, pioneer ways!

No comments: